Tuesday 20 May 2014

Elephant @ Bethnal Green Working Men's Club

I'm always up for discovering some new music. With an hour long commute to work every morning and partial to sticking on the iPod morning, noon and night I have plenty of time to fill listening to new sounds. A friend recently recommended a few bands to me based on the kind of things I like and one of them was the band Elephant.

Elephant have been around for a couple of years but have just released their debut album 'Sky Swimming'. Made up of Amelie Rivas and Christian Pinchbeck their songs are a mixture of dreamy and haunting vocals about broken love. Apparently the pair used to be in a relationship but are now just coupling up to make some music (so Twitter tells me). Don't you just love it when a song has a bit of history behind it!

I went to see them play last week at Bethnal Green Working Men's Club. There was another guy alongside the duo although I'm not sure if they have recruited a third member or if this was a one off.

Bethnal Green Working Men's Club is a great venue for a low key, understated gig. It has a great retro, trashy glam feel to it with the large light up heart back drop, exactly what you would expect to see from a working men's club in East London!

The guys sounded great and despite having some technical difficulties - gave a great show. Their songs were even better than those I have heard from the EP so of course I am now an owner of their album! Unfortunately as mentioned they had to stop short because of the sound system and didn't get to play all their songs but they handled it well. I've added a link to my favourite track from the night below. Enjoy!





                 
                                                              Elephant – Shipwrecked

If you have any musical recommendations then I'm always happy to hear them! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment